Lavender Banana Bread Recipe
Ingredients for Lavender Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature and more for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar (Variation: You can reduce this to 3/4 cup for a bread that is less sweet)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (approximately 2 large bananas) very ripe bananas (When you see speckles on the banana skin, it is good enough, they do not have to be blackened or very ripe)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (Fage-Whole Milk Greek Yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tiny drops of Lavender oil (Afelier Perfume- Lavender Absolute from France) - Optional
- A note on lavender absolute. It is very potent. Don't try to be greedy and add more than 2 drops, unless you want to perfume your whole mouth when you eat a tiny bite of cake. Also, if you decide to cook with lavender oil, you need to make sure it is food grade safe.
Method for Lavender Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pan and set aside. Next, in an electric beater fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and until the butter has turned into a paler shade of yellow. Next, add eggs and beat until the ingredients are well incorporated. Scrape with a silicon spatula if needed.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter-egg- sugar mixture and mix until just combined. To the same mixture, add mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, vanilla and lavender oil. Make sure the mixture is mixed thoroughly but do not over mix.
- Pour mixture into prepared pans and bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes. Test with a toothpick or cake tester to make sure the banana bread is completely baked. If the bread still has liquid batter, return the cake to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes and then re-check until it is done.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then un-mold and cool completely on a wire rack. Cake will stay fresh covered at room temperature for 3 days. Refrigerate or freeze left overs.