70 g rice flour
150 g tapioca flour
160 g sugar
500 ml coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Some pandan leaf essence (Can omit if you can't find it)
Food coloring in yellow, green, red, purple (mix red and blue), and orange (mix red and yellow).
Garnish: 1 1/2 cup of grated coconut + 1 tsp salt
1) Grate the white flesh of a freshly cracked coconut. Coconuts can be bought from a regular grocery store. Most coconuts now come with a slightly scored center. Use a cleaver to carefully crack the coconut open. Remove the flesh and grate it. You can use a food processor to help you.
2) After grating the coconut, combine it with salt and steam it for 10 mins. Set it aside.
3) Combine the rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, coconut milk, salt, vanilla essence and pandan leaf essence.
4) Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and cook it over low heat for about 3-5 mins, until the batter is smooth.
5) Divide the batter into 5 equal portions. (Use 5 medium size bowls to hold the batter).
6) Add 2-3 drops of your selected food coloring into each portion and mix to combine.
7) Pour the batter into small cups and steam on high for 10 minutes.
8) The cake will set after steaming. Wait for it to cool completely before removing it from the cup.
9) Garnish and top with grated coconut.